Saturday, October 20, 2012

SUU Running

I LOVE SUU and especially running for them! Seriously, I am so grateful for this amazing opportunity in my life. I love when my coach gives us motivational speeches about how fast we may possibly be in the future. I love all my hilarious teammates and the feeling of running fast. There’s really nothing like college. I’m having so much fun. Workouts are going well and I recently finished my first rhythm. My coach does this rhythm training where we run 3 days for a certain distance and 3 more days at a higher distance and then 3 more days with an even higher distance. So for instance I run 3 days at 4 miles, then 3 days at 6 miles, and finally 3 days at 8 miles. All the while my crazy coach sometimes has us do 4 days of consecutive speed workouts! Due to my previous injury and conference for the rest of my teammates coming up, I only did 2 days of speed on Monday and Tuesday. Monday’s workout was so much fun and I felt amazing! We ran 8x60 second pickups on the grass. Tuesday my coach had me come up the canyon with the faster kids on my team and do a really intense workout! It was 3x4 sets of 400 meter repeats. The first set we had 30 seconds rest in between the 400’s, the second set we had 60 seconds in between, and then the last set we had 90 seconds rest in between. Gah! We were at 10,000 feet and each time we received more rest then the repeats had to be faster. I made it to the 2nd 400 in the 3rd set. It was so hard. Really. THEN after the 400’s my coach made them run an all-out mile! It was brutal, but I was glad to think if I was in shape I probably could have made it through the whole thing. Coach Houle’s workouts are so hard but I’m glad they’re hard because I know I’m going to improve by doing them. I was just thinking about this the other day and how much better college running is than high school running. The training, individualized attention, and overall help you get from so many people is much better. I love it and am so glad I chose the college I did! The people are mainly the reason it’s amazing. Hopefully I can stay healthy so I can come back stronger.
I'm not in this picture because I had to leave the home meet early but here's my team!

No comments:

Post a Comment